Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Lake Wallenpaupack Fishing Report- 6/17/12

I didn't fish on Sunday because there were two tournaments on the Lake.  I figured the fishing would be tough..and it WAS according to Bill Albright, local guide.  I woke up at 0500 to hear about 30 bass boats flying down the Lake.  Conditions looked good, overcast skies, slight breeze, etc. but the fishing was tough.  The winning bag was 8 fish for 15 lbs.  Normally, when the fishing is ON..that bag weight would be closer to 20 lbs., if not over.  The winning Smallie weighed 3 lbs. and the winning LM was 4.5 lbs. (I think).  I went down to the dock around 0900 and saw four bass boats in our Cove (Goose Pond Cove).  All four boats were pounding the bank..to no avail.  I knew if they didn't have at least 3-4 fish in the livewell by 0900 it was going to be a long day.
I always wondered whether 30+ boats zooming down the middle of the Lake at 0500 puts the bass in alert mode- i.e, a negative feeding mode.  I wouldn't doubt it.  How else do you explain the low weights at weigh-ins when just a week earlier, w/ similar conditions, you would have brought a 20 lb. bag in?  And, the guys in the ABA tournament are some of the top fishermen around..trust me.
Regardless, the water temps will REALLY warm-up this week with mid 90F air temps.  The higher water temps will definitely fire up the fish. i.e. they'll be moving more and eating more.  There is no doubt that the Topwater bite will be on early.  The action doesn't last long but when it's ON..it's ON!  It's a lot of fun.
I'll be out there on Saturday morning from 0500 til 1100.  I like to get off the Lake when I see the first jet skier/PWCs/Waverunners (whatever you call em).  I hate those pesky things..they're freakin' annoying to say the least.  Water skiers are also annoying..especially the ones that love to buzz our bass boats close to the shoreline.  Almost got in a fight years ago because a water skiing boat kept buzzing my bass boat 20 ft. from the shoreline.  I casted my jerkbait at the driver as he blew by me at 25 mph and damn hear hit em..ha.  He shut his engine down and said, "YOU ALMOST HIT ME YOU A$$HOLE".  I said, "I'M SORRY I MISSED.  I WOULD HAVE LOVED TO RIP THAT BIG NOSE OFF YOUR FACE".  It was pretty funny.  Can you believe that though?  The guy was buzzing by me no more than 30 ft. off the shoreline at 0900 in the morning with nobody else on the Lake..sheesh.
Until next report- FISH ON!  Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment