Wednesday, June 13, 2012

2012 Skeeter TZX 190 Woes (Cont'd)


Thought I'd put together a summary list of all my 2012 Skeeter TZX (w/ 175 HPDI) woes so that other Skeeter owners can benefit.  Not bashing Skeeter/Yamaha.  Although the list is long, I still don't think there is a better boat sold on the market for the money..and I've previously owned a cheap Nitro and top of the line Ranger.  Here's the list:
a. Carpeting- I have a spot where the carpet was glued on top of a dried blob of fiberglass.  It will probably wear through in time.  For now, I'm leaving it alone because it's near the edge where there is little foot traffic.  On other 2012 TZX 190s, I've heard the carpet had to be re-glued in a spot because it became loose after a hard rain.
b. Side Imaging Transducer Install- the rear sponson design of the TZX 190 does NOT allow the SI transducer to get a good look out either side (port or starboard).  I had to buy a mount for $100, made by www.sternmate.com, to get the SI transducer down & out from the transom to get a better image.  The image out the port side is still not so great (when the engine is trimmed up) because of the E-Ladder.  Image out the starboard side MUCH better than original.
c. Cable bundle routing- the cable bundle routing out of the engine contacts the rear deck lid.  This creates two problems: 1) it's going to wear a hole in the rear deck lid compartment in time and 2) it puts excessive pressure on the cables when the engine is tilted/trimmed up.  In fact, on mine, there was so much pressure on the cables it popped the retaining clip inside the engine holding the throttle cable in place and I lost both my throttle and gear lever.  Had to tow the boat back to the dealer to fix.
d. Rubber Motor Stick- Yamaha/Skeeter introduced a new motor toter called a "motor stick".  This stick of rubber is supposed to fit over the port side trim piston rod to take the stress off the transom when trailering.  Problem is, to install it on the piston you MUST trim the engine to the fullest upright position.  When you do this, it SMASHES the cables (coming off the engine) into the rear deck lid. (see c. above).  Yamaha/Skeeter has a recall on the motor stick.  My dealer replaced the motor stick with the old fashioned motor toter that connects to the lower unit of the engine and rear trailer roller.
e. Humminbird 798 ciHD fishfinder- head unit was defective, had to go back to HB.  New head unit works fine.
f. Fire Extinguisher bracket- dealer installed the Fire Extinguisher  under the driver seat.  The first time I stood up, the back of my sneaker hooked the bracket latch and broke it.  Dealer sent me a new one.  I taped the strap so it can't catch on my shoes/sneakers.
g. Thru the hull transducer Y-cable- Yamaha/Skeeter/Dealer/Whomever did NOT connect a Y-cable from the thru the hull transducer and my SI transducer.  So, when I was up on plane, I had no depth reading at speed since the SI transducer was out of the water.
h. Trailer loading- it is EXTREMELY hard to load boat on shallow/flat ramps.  If the trailer is in the water too far, the bow of the boat will dive under the trailer winch roller.  If the trailer is out of the water too far, the boat bow clip will NEVER come close to the trailer bow roller.  I still can't find the sweet spot after 6 attempts.  I'm going to try to silicone spray the bunks next time.  I'm not concerned with the boat falling off the trailer (because of the slick bunks) because the ramp is so shallow and I NEVER undo the bow clip and backup until the boat transom is in the water.
i. Engine setup- not sure the engine is mounted at the correct height.  Still trying to figure it out.  I'm only getting 61mph GPS with just me (185 lb.), 1/2 tank gas, calm water, mid 60 temps, and light load.  I was counting on 65mph minimum with a 175 hp HPDI engine.
j. Cleats- the pop-up cleats are VERY difficult to pull up. I sprayed them with WD40 and it's a little easier.
k. Lid latches- the hidden lid latches are terrible.  They are VERY difficult to open and very sharp.  I cut my finger on the rear deck lid latch.  Had to take a dremel tool to it to round off the edges.

Wish Yamaha/Skeeter would authorize/ok the use of a jack plate on this boat.  I think it would help eliminate at least 3-4 of the problems I listed.

Fish ON! Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment