Friday, August 17, 2012

Lake Wallenpaupack Fishing Report- 8/12/12

Got out on Sunday..60F when I started at 0630.  Water temp 77F.  Slight wind out of the East, Sunny skies.  Air temp warmed up to mid 70s by 1030 when I took-out.

Fishing was good.  Caught 6 Smallies, two of them in the 2+ lb range.  Caught em on worms and a drop-shot rig.  Fished a nice stretch of shoreline that I don't normally fish across from my Cove.  Noticed that the lake level had fallen once again and that there was a distinct white chalky shoreline residue.  Also noticed that the water is turning a "pea green" color which my friend (Bill Albright) and I believe is an algae bloom.  That could explain the white chalky shoreline.  You would think the residue would be green but maybe it's white because of all the minerals/nutrients in the algae..who knows.  We have noticed that the weed growth (hydrilla) has been very sparse this summer.  Perhaps that is from the algae stunting its growth?  Who knows.  Regardless, the fishing remains good.  I just hope this algae die-off (which happens in the Fall) doesn't affect the Bass.  I think the algae is particulary dominant in the Lake this year because we didn't have any ice/snow on the Lake this past Winter to keep the sunlight from penetrating.   It's the first time in a LONG time that there hasn't been ice/snow in the middle of the Lake. The algae may have started growing sooner than normal.  Plus, we've had a particularly hot/humid Summer which is probably adding to the algae growth.

Until next time..Fish ON!  Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment