Sunday, May 5, 2013

Lake Wallenpaupack Fishing Report- 5/4/13

Man..if you didn't get out on the water this weekend and fish you probably missed one of the nicest weekends (both weather and fish caught) of fishing you will EVER experience at the Pack.  All three days (Fri-Sun) were bluebird days with highs in the upper 60s low 70s, moderate winds, sunny and warm.  In fact, it felt a LOT warmer than the mercury indicated.

Water temp on the lake varies (by location) from 59-62F depending on where you fished.  I fished from Ironwood up to Capri Marina.  Visibility is about 5-6 ft.  I can't remember the last time the water was this clear.  Perhaps it's because we haven't received much rain/runoff lately.  I don't know for sure.

Both Saturday and Sunday I was out on the Lake btwn 9-10am.  That's the beauty of fishing this time of year.  You don't have to be up at the crack of dawn to take advantage of good Smallie Fishing.  You can catch em all day long.

The bucks are up on the banks fanning out the nests for the big females.  I caught about a dozen smallies each day and 95% of them were bucks up near the beds.  They averaged just a little over a pound.  I caught a couple females that went about 3 pounds.  I can't tell you how many fish I had chase my bait..swipe at it with their tail, etc.

I threw and caught all my fish on a jerkbait.  There are all different types/sizes of jerkbaits but I like the small "jap jerkbaits" because they suspend MUCH better than the others.  According to Bill, of Bills Guide Service, the soft plastics are working well along with spinners.  I didn't even think of changing baits because I absolutely love throwing jerkbaits this time of year.  Probably because I don't throw them any other time of the year at the Pack.

I also watched a guy (and his girlfriend/sister/wife/whatever) catch and boat a 20 lb. Striper.  I believe they were fishing live bait.  When that Striper hit...he hit hard and just ran with the bait.  They caught it in 15 ft. of water with a live minnow off of Briar Hill North Point.  It took them about 5 minutes to land the fish.  They caught it at approximately 3pm.

The weather might not get any better in the upcoming weeks (how can it..this weekend was perfect) but I know the fishing is going to get better.  I predict the next two weeks will be the best times for both quantity and size.  The full moon is on May 25th, and the water is warming up nicely to the mid 60s....a time when the BIGGER female Smallies will move in and spawn.

So, get out there the next two weeks.   FISH ON!  Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment