Tuesday, May 29, 2012

2012 Skeeter TZX 190 woes

The woes continue on my NEW 2012 TZX 190.  This past weekend, I was ALMOST left stranded on my home lake.  Initially, I lost REVERSE.  I was lucky enough to make it back to the launch ramp.  Then, as I was taking my boat out of the water the engine died..no throttle.  I had to have a guy help me muscle-F the boat back onto the trailer.  A trailer that was designed to have the boat powerloaded onto it- not winched.  Ever try to winch a 2000 lb. boat up bunks while lifting the front bow of the boat to clear the trailer roller on the winch?  Aint easy.
Anyway, got the boat out of the water and pulled the engine cowl and looked at the throttle linkage.  Low and behold, the throttle and gear cables have popped off their mounting bracket and were floating inside the engine compartment.  Question is: why did the cables pop off the bracket?  Seems like every time the engine is tilted up, the cables/hoses are jammed into the back of the rear deck of the boat.  In fact, they are jammed right on top of the rear deck (metal) latch.  There is so much force on these cables when the engine is tilted full up that it's starting to wear a hole in my rear deck carpet.
I can only imagine what's going to happen when it's colder and the cables/hoses won't flex as much.  They are either going to crack or break.
I've contacted my dealer and they've contacted Skeeter so we'll see what they say.

Here's a couple photos of the clip that came undone inside the engine compartment:




















This is what I believe is causing the problem.  The cables are being jammed down on the rear deck, when the engine is tilted up, causing stress and flexing of the cables inside the engine compartment.  There was obviously so much stress on the plastic clip holding the cables down (inside the engine compartment) that it failed to hold.




















You can also see that there is so much force on the rear deck, from the cables being jammed into it, that the carpet is already starting to wear- and I haven't had the boat for more than 3 weeks.



Stay tuned to see what Skeeter says.  Fish ON!  Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment